CHENNAI: The Allahabad High Court judgment on the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi ownership dispute has failed to resolve the differences between the two major communities with both still adamant in their stance over the disputed site, according to a report by human rights activists.
Addressing a press conference on Tuesday, Prof A Marx of Peoples Union for Human Rights and G Sugumaran of Federation of People’s Rights, who visited Lucknow, Faizabad and Ayodhya last week and prepared a fact-finding report, stated while the Muslims have approached the Supreme Court to establish their legal right over the disputed site, the Hindus are equally adamant that the disputed site belongs to them and won’t allow any masjid in the area.
Marx and Sugumaran said during the last week, they met people from various sections, including Ram Vilas Vedanti of Ram Janambhoomi Nyas, Mahant Bhaskar Das of Nirmohi Akhara, Sunni Waqf Board counsel Zafaryab Jilani and Mohammed Hashim Ansari, one of the oldest litigants, and tried to feel the pulse of the people in the area after the verdict.
To their horror, they found the people still divided over the issue. Interestingly, their report states that the masjid should be rebuilt at the disputed area where the mosque stood. The report has also slammed parties and individuals who have threatened violence if the Supreme Court verdict goes against a particular community.
“This sort of attitude of threatening the apex court is disturbing to all those concerned with communal harmony. Political parties who have faith in secularism and democracy should come forward and condemn the individuals and parties,” they stated.
“We will release the full report in the presence of all party political leaders, besides intellectuals and people from all walks of life,” said Marx.