NCHRO RESOLUTIONS (Passed in the online meet of the executive held last week)
When NCHRO executive meet in Bangalore last time we never imagined that our next meet would be conducted in this way – on line.
Nobody thought that the Covid 19 will cause such a disaster in the whole world and affect the lives of the people, especially the working class and the downtrodden all over the planet.
Now India is one among the first three worst affected countries in the world. Now it is proved that this is also one of the few unprepared countries to face such a disaster.
As the Magsaysay award winner Sainath had said the fastest dismantling of our democracy in our history, Indira Gandhi’s declaration of emergency, is nothing when compared to what is happening today. As he said if we start with demonetization five years back, today the fire is at our doorstep. Neither the Parliament nor the Rajya Sabha nor the Assemblies all over India are functioning now. Narendra Modi led government has never cared about discussing today’s problems with the people’s representatives.
Millions of people all over India were made to walk their way, thousands of miles, carrying their valuables and their children on their shoulders. At least more than fifty to hundred people had died during their long walk towards their home.
The Prime Minister does not care about consulting the Chief Ministers of the states on each and every step he is taking in the name of containing the Corona disaster. He has not even cared to release the GST shares due to the states immediately .
Almost five states all over India have announced that they have increased unilaterally the working hours of the workers from eight to twelve hours.
On the one side we find the socio religious fundamentalists who are using the present disaster for their hate campaign against the minority communities. On the other hand there are corporate market economic fundamentalists including media hubs who are announcing unprecedented retrenchments and reduction of wages of their employees.
People are dying in hunger. A photograph showing children eating the grass meant for cattle went viral in the social media before few weeks.
Meanwhile the government is busy in arresting the intellectuals and minority community activists all over India under draconian laws like the amended UAPA. Minority community activists including pregnant women who had participated in the peaceful struggles against the CAA implementation are also arrested and jailed. Even the Delhi Minority Commission Chief Dr Zafarul-Islam Khan is charged with sedition for his post in the social media.
In the midst of corona disaster we find activists like Gautam Naulakha and Anand Teltumde were booked under UAPA and incarcerated in jails which are already crowded.
Our jails all over India are overcrowded and are totally unsuitable to lodge so many people in this time of corona disaster and the governments have not taken care of reducing the density of the jails even in the times of such national disaster.
More than 600 eminent persons all over India has signed a petition requesting to release in bails at least the two women activists Sudha Bharadwaj and Shoma Sen from Byculla Jail. They have pleaded that at least a temporary relief should be given to them taking into consideration of their health condition.
It is in this background we the ExCo members of NCHRO put forth the following demands before the central and state governments:
- The Corona disaster is spreading all over India uncontrollably. The state governments which are actually handling the problem are starved of funds. Not even ten percent of the demanded money is provided by the centre to the states. NCHRO demands the centre to release enough funds to the states immediately. We also bring to the notice of the centre the criticism made by eminent economists and former finance ministers that the high pitched announcement of allocation of 20 lack crore relief package by the finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman is not anything new. It is just a part of the budget allocations already made.
- The central government should put in the accounts of all those under the poverty line a reasonable amount not less than five thousand rupees for the next six months. In the name of Corona a large number of employees are sent out of job by the corporate employers. The government should enact some law to safeguard the job security of the employees in times of such disasters.
- NCHRO demands that the Parliament and Rajya Sabha should be convened immediately and issues of national importance such as Covid 19 management, fund allocation to states, the recent border clash with China in which our 20 of our army men were brutally killed and the deteriorating relationship with our border countries like Nepal are to be discussed.
- The situation in Kashmir is worrying everybody. The recent changes made in the constitution regarding the constitutional status if Kashmir has led to the rise of militancy again in an unprecedented rate. More than hundred militants have been killed in this year alone and such a situation worsens the life conditions of the people more and more. The Indian government should take into consideration of the serious border problems with the neighboring states. To handle these problems successfully we should try to win the confidence of the people of the Kashmir which is very near to Pakistan and China.
- NCHRO demands that the density in the central jails all over India should be made thin in this time of Corona. All under trial prisoners should be released including those arrested under special laws like UAPA. We should not forget that under trial prisoners are presumed to be innocent until they are convicted. We also demand that all the women prisoners should be released in bail. In the time of Corona attack the right to bail is a part of the right to life. Poet VaraVara Rao and Prof Saibaba should also be released under medical bail considering their health conditions and old age.
- NCHRO condemns the Delhi and UP police for foisting false cases on peaceful protesters against CAA. The false cases against the student activists from Jamia University and anti CAA activists of Delhi should all be withdrawn. The real culprits who spout venom against Muslims are people like Kapil Misra, Anurag Thakur and Parvesh Varma. No serious actions are taken against them. But the peaceful student protesters like Safoora Zargar, Meeran Haider, Asif Iqbal Tanha (all are Jamia Students), Natasha Narwal and Devangana Kalita (all are JNU students), activists Ishrat Jahan, Khalid Saifi, Gulfisha Fatima, Sharjeel Imam and many other muslims are now arrested. All of them are arrested by Delhi police. Some of them are booked under UAPA. AMU students Farhan Zuberi and Ravish Ali Khan have been arrested by the UP police for their participation in the anti-CAA protests. Dr M.A.Anwar of Ai-Hind clinic in Old Mustafabad is now charged in a false murder case for the only “crime” of saving those muslims who were seriously injured in the Delhi riots. NCHRO condemns all these arrests. The cases against them should be withdrawn. The real culprits who are responsible for the Delhi riots should be identified and arrested.